holisticstretching.com recommends Alex Larsson Hyperbolic Stretching Guide to help you improve your stretching. Their proven methods have a success rate of 92%. Buy with confidence with their 90 day Money Back Guarantee!
Juggling work, family, and social life can sometimes be overwhelming. Often, in our hectic schedule, we tend to eat food from fast foods and just whatever we can grab from the nearest food truck. These kinds of foods are enough to fill our empty stomachs, but they are mostly unhealthy. Eating unhealthy foods can only add to our calorie count, which in turn leads to a rounder physique. In a world where physical appearance matters, we need to keep our calories in check by finding even a few minutes to lose those unwanted calories. Thankfully, we do not have to spend hours in the gym or spend our waking hours exercising though running or lifting weights. We can simply engage in stretching to burn calories.
The question is – Does stretching burn calories? Let us find out through this elaborate post dedicated to stretching and its benefits.
What is stretching?
Stretching is a flexibility exercise that is not actually a huge burner of calories, but this workout plays a significant role in getting rid of your unwanted calories. The good thing about stretching is the convenience of performing this exercise. You are not required to execute stretching constantly, and there is no need for a prolonged timeframe in order to reap the benefits. You just need a couple of minutes every day to do stretching and you can do it in your bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, living room, even in your office. Stretching can help you improve your daily actions, and lower the risk of getting hurt while working out. And you only need to take part in this simple exercise 2 to 3 times every week to see the good results.
Stretching for losing weight
Burning calories ultimately leads to weight loss, and stretching plays a major part in your fitness routine. When you practice stretching, you burn calories that help you stay in shape. There are two ways that stretching can boost your losing weight goal.
- Less stress – stretching is a form of exercise that pumps your blood faster, but it does not enhance your adrenaline. This flexibility exercise reduces your stress level and it can enhance your mood. If you are suffering from emotional eating, you can do stretching exercises in order to avoid your trip to the food counter. With stretching, you will crave food less, which will make you look slimmer in time.
- Aids in full workout routines – if you have a weekly workout routine, you need to keep your body in shape and ready for the strenuous activity. Stretching loosens your tight muscles and makes your body flexible. So when you engage in your complete workout routine, your body will have a lesser chance of getting injured. With a well-prepared body, your goal to lose weight is realized even clearer and faster.
Amount of calories burnt
As mentioned, stretching does not burn too much calories. Here is a list of calories burned during stretching:
- 70 calories – a 30-minute stretching exercise allows a 125 pounds person to burn 70 calories
- 85 calories – 30 minutes of stretching makes a 150 pounds person burn at least 85 calories
- 113 calories – a 30-minute stretching exercise leads to burning 113 calories for a person who weighs 200 pounds
Stretching along can make you burn calories, but when you have extra time, try to incorporate high intensity training exercises into your stretching routine. Integrate activities like interval training or jogging into your workout to gain the maximum amount of calories burned.
Simple stretching exercises
Giving 30 minutes of your time each day or three times a week for stretching can go a long way in your quest to burn calories. Let us take a look at some of the simplest stretching routines:
- Full body roll – stand straight and stretch your arms upwards, then lower your arms, with your fingertips touching the ground. Slightly bend your knees to avoid hurting your back, and keep this position for 5 to 15 seconds, but do not hold your breath. Slowly lift your body into a straight upward position and repeat the process.
- Crescent moon stretches – raise your arms upwards, then slowly curve your body to the left in a “C” shape. Do the same process while bending to the right. This exercise makes you create a crescent moon appearance.
- Neck and shoulder stretch – you can do this while sitting or standing up. Simply bring your chin towards your chest and feel the pressure at the back of your neck. Then gently roll your head to the right and left side in order to stretch both sides of your neck.
- Chest opener – you can perform this stretching exercise while standing or sitting. You just need to clasp your hands at your back and allow your chest in the front to open and stretch. Hold this position for about 5 to 10 seconds.
- Hip and inner thigh stretch – do this while sitting. Gather both the soles of your feet in front of you, forming a triangle. Then tilt your body forward, but make sure that you do this from the hips. The goal is to keep your chest in close proximity to the ground. If you cannot perform this successfully, do not worry, because it is common not to be able to bring the chest so much closer to the floor. However, try to accomplish this position and hold it for 15 to 30 seconds.
The great thing about stretches is the availability of the exercise. You can even perform the stretches while you are sitting on your desk working. You do not need any equipment to perform stretches, and there is no required place for you to do these exercise routines.
Final Piece of Advice for Readers
Stretching is a great exercise routine that you can do in your spare time, and you can do it anywhere you like.
It is a type of physical activity that you can fit in your schedule easily. When you are in the office, sitting on the chair for long hours can be bad for your body. Get up and so some basic stretches. The good news is that stretching can be done even while you are traveling to a far off destination or even after waking up. So, stretch and burn additional calories.